Sacred Heart Church Baptism Requirements
STEP 1: Parents & Godparents Attend Second Sunday Meeting with Anne and Don
- Second Sunday of each month at 3:00 PM in the rectory (you may park in the lot behind the rectory on Market Street).
- Each godparent should bring a copy of his/her Catholic Confirmation certificate and Catholic Church Marriage certificate (if he/she is married) to the meeting. You can contact the parishes where these sacraments occurred and request copies.
- Please see “CHOOSING GODPARENTS” below for godparent requirements.
STEP 2: Attend Last Thursday Baptism Conference with Sister Barbara and Parents & Godparents
- Last Thursday of the month.
- 7:30 PM in the Rectory (you may park on Castleton Avenue in front of the rectory or in the church parking lot).
STEP 3: Baptism Ceremony
- We baptize the children the last Sunday of the month at 2:15 PM in the church.
The maximum number of godparents is two. (One Female and One Male). One godparent is sufficient. (Male or Female).
Each Godparent must:
- be prepared to assist the person being baptized and his/her parents through his/her support, example, encouragement and prayer.
- be at least 16 years of age.
- have received the Catholic Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation.
- attend Catholic Mass every Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation.
- if married, be married in the Catholic Church.
- if single, be not cohabitating with a significant other.
- be cleared by Sacred Heart Parish to serve as godparent. To do so, the godparent candidate must go to the 9 AM Mass on Sunday with his/her Confirmation Certificate (and Marriage Certificate if he/she is married.). The candidate can obtain a copy of these certificates from the parish where he/she received these Sacraments. Immediately after Mass, Sister Barbara will meet with the candidate for clearance. After clearance, Sister will give the sponsor a certificate that will be collected along with the Confirmation (and Marriage Certificate). Those who are unable to meet with Sister after Mass on Sunday must contact Sister at 718-727-8005.
CONFESSION FOR GODPARENTS & PARENTS WITH A CATHOLIC PRIEST BEFORE THE CEREMONY:
This is OPTIONAL but very much recommended. We say it is “optional” because no one can be forced to repent of their sins and to accept God’s love and mercy and grace.
BAPTISM CONFERENCES AT SACRED HEART
Last Thursday of the Month