The maximum number of godparents is two. (One Female and One Male). One godparent is sufficient. (Male or Female). Each Godparent should:
- be at least 16 years of age.
- have received the Catholic Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation.
- attend Catholic Mass every Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation.
- if married, be married in the Catholic Church.
- if single, be not cohabitating with a significant other.
- be prepared to assist the person being baptized and his/her parents through his/her support, example, encouragement and prayer.
- obtain a Sponsor Certificate from his/her parish where he/she usually goes to Mass each Sunday
Parents and Godparents must attend one of the parish Baptism Conferences (on the last Thursday of the Month at 7:30 pm in the Rectory) if they are baptizing a child for the first time here at Sacred Heart. If they have attended a Baptism Conference here at Sacred Heart in the past (because they have other children or godchildren) then they would be exempt.
Baptisms are celebrated every Sunday at 2:15 pm in the church. The couple can schedule the Baptism at the initial meeting with Father Eric.